Life Cycle Design practitioners ADW Developments completed a life-cycle environmental assessment of the new Mercedes Benz Showroom in Dartford. The new car showroom forms part of the wider redevelopment of the Bridge Industrial estate in Dartford.
The design and specification of materials has provided many positive sustainability features including:
* Energy efficient LED lighting, with PIR controls, microwave sensors and photocells to make use of daylight where practical.
* High-efficiency VRV, highly efficient heat recovery air source heat pump system and remote central controls
* Specific radiant heating solutions for ‘back of house’ and workshop areas which include radiators and high efficiency condensing boilers and high-efficient gas-fired radiant heaters with black bulb sensors to take advantage of lower energy features of radiant heating
* BMS to monitor water, gas and electrical efficiency, effectiveness and consumption
* High Building fabric u-values for energy efficiency and to prevent heat loss, alongside external solar louvres to minimise internal heat gains and to reduce heating and cooling loads
The scheme was found to perform well in terms of embodied carbon for a building of this type and nature and has been awarded an interim rating of ‘Very Good’ under BREEAM NC 2014.
Contributing towards this rating ADW undertook LCA analysis awarding 2 bonus materials credits under Mat 1.
“Using eToolLCD to carry out the IMPACT compliant LCA is actually quite enjoyable.
The software works well, and the predefined templates that are selected to describe each building element align well to the architectural specifications. Best of all is the support provided by eTool – not only do they provide timely support with technical queries but, on this project, they also helped us through the BREEAM compliance process.”
Anthony Waterman – Director at ADW Developments
- LCA Assessor: ADW Developments
- Scheme: BREEAM NC 2014 (Retail)
- Gross Floor Area: 3678m2
- Client: Mercedes-Benz Retail Group UK Limited
- Architect: Ayshford Sansome
- Contractor: RG Group
- Date: February 2019
- Location: Dartford, Kent
Full LCA (Stage A1-C4) of the building including substructure, superstructure, internal finishes, external works, people and equipment, operational energy and water.
Project impacts over 60 year life cycle (assuming todays grid applied throughout).
Project GWP Impacts over 60-year life cycle.